Monday, July 31, 2006

Don’t let development kill North Shore paradise

Karl Scott

As an Australian who has grown up on the world-renowned Gold Coast, I have seen firsthand what rampant development and pro-developer local authorities can do to devastate a beautiful area, stretch infrastructure to the breaking point and, despite all precautions and attempts at protection, environmentally wreck an area and burden, not benefit, local residents with poorly controlled growth.

I was a resident of Surfers Paradise for 15 years from 1973, and my mother and many friends still live there. Brisbane is only 45 minutes by car north of the Gold Coast, and I still go there frequently for weekends and holidays. At 35 years of age, I am far from a crotchety old fart who yearns for some long-forgotten ideal age that can never be reclaimed. I am a young father of three who has seen the spread of tourism and unit developments eat up the beauty of the Gold Coast from Surfers Paradise to Coolangatta.

The North Shore of Oahu is a truly amazing place, and I say this as someone who was warned that Hawaii would just feel like Surfers Paradise to me. Waikiki does to a certain degree, but the North Shore is truly unique. Despite its world fame, it is a place that is totally unimpressed with itself, still true in its core to the surfers who made it famous. [more]

No comments: